Week 4






The Nana

The nana can be defined as a brief or underwear that is rather high cut and thick at the sides for maximum comfort and coverage. The nana generally has an elasticised waistband and leg openings, and is lined at the crotch area with an absorbent material such as cotton.






Whilst constructing the nana, I had a bit of trouble attaching the elastic. It just found it time consuming and difficult, when you could just use the elastic machine and get a similar, neater finish. I found the workshop with Liam a bit of a let down. I had imagined that he would be teaching us step by step numerous decorative techniques, yet instead we were asked to make whatever we know, which wasn't much help, as most people only knew a few basic techniques, therefore didn't really gain much from it.

Whilst looking at the generic nana, I questioned how it could ever be more appealing to the eye. It appears to be something that is purely based on functional purposes. Yet after researching different designers such as Viktor & Rolf, Martin Margeila, La Perla, Louise Golden etc. it made me realise that the nana is just a blank canvas ready to be decorated or altered in some way.





Image- La Perla

The nana decorate or integrate exercise a bit of a fail. I liked the idea and sketches in my book, yet when I went to make them, they turned out dodgy. It pretty much came down to timing. I ran out of time which resulted in a rushed prototype where corners didn’t match up, elastic was loose on the body, and the frills were attached messily. I’ve realised that the nana brief needs a lot of patience and attention to detail whilst constructing to ensure that all elements are carried out perfectly.

Nana- decorate or intergrate exercise

No comments:

Post a Comment